Monday, September 29, 2014

Illustrator Art: Dr. Who Meets Quentin Blake (as seen by me)

      This week my art project was illustrator art. It took me a while to find an iconic figure that I wanted to envision through illustrator Quentin Blake's creative lens. I ended up with Dr. Who, in one of my favorite story arcs promotional posters. I found that while I created this piece, I ended up reliving some of my fondest moments of both the television series and the works Blake's art is associated with (largely Roald Dahl). Just through creating a piece of my own, I was given this opportunity to relive experiences and remember my appreciation for them, as well as connect with why I enjoyed them both initially. This lead me thinking about the power that art integration can have in school.
      Creating our own meaning will come in a variety of mediums and forms but given the time and opportunity, the concepts covered take deeper roots. I realized during this experience that much of our learning could be improved by the creative process being added to our experience. We take the time to teach, expect them to learn, but ultimately we have to provide the opportunity to create with the knowledge we want our students to retain.

No comments:

Post a Comment